Ever have those moments where you are just tired of the cold, dark and dreary days of winter? Me too. The winter weather here has been just awful. It rains a cold, almost freezing kind of rain at least twice a week and the yard and driveway are a muddy mess.
It was one of those moments that led to this soup. I had run out to the post office to drop off Squigglybugs orders and came home with a chill. I threw open the pantry and refrigerator and pulled out anything bright and cheerful I could find. Orange squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots, hearty quinoa, and a dash of cayenne pepper to warm me up. Turns out my little experiment was delicious, so delicious that I just had to share it with all of you.
Warm Winter Soup
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of shredded kale
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4th teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8th teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2-3 cups chicken broth (as much as you like)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Half the butternut squash, remove the seeds and place on a baking tray
- Peel the sweet potatoes and carrots, cut them into a few big chunks and roast them in the oven along with the squash until soft
- While veggies are roasting, finely dice the onions and garlic and with the butter cook in the bottom of a large soup pot until translucent
- Once the pile of orange has roasted and cooled a bit, scoop out the squash and put it in the food processor along with the carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Blend it up, adding a splash of broth if needed. Scoop it all into the pot with the onions and give it a stir.
- Add the milk, broth, quinoa, kale, and seasonings and let it all simmer till it’s good and hot.
- Spoon up a big old bowl, grab some crusty sourdough and get warm
This soup is like a warm hug for your belly and immune system. All those healthy veggies, a little quinoa protein punch, it’s magic.
I’d love to hear what you think! Share your thoughts in the comments here or over on our Facebook page.