First birthdays are a big deal around here. Well, not in that “Pinterest worthy” sort of way but definitely in a “make awesome cupcakes” sort of way.
I wanted something gluten free but since gluten free baking can be really dry I threw in the applesauce for extra moisture and it helped cut backed on the sugar, which is always good when feeding them to newly 1 year olds.
These cupcakes were a big hit! Even our family who was skeptical about them being gluten free enjoyed them. The birthday boy, well let’s just say he wore it well. These would be a great addition to a birthday party or bake sale, or for someone who is just getting started with gluten free baking since they require no funky ingredients.
Gluten Free Applesauce Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups of applesauce, we use our home canned sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 1/2 cups of gluten free flour blend (We like the Bobs Red Mill all purpose)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup evaporated cane juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Blend the applesauce, sugar, and eggs together. Slowly add in the coconut oil and vanilla.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and slowly add to the wet mixture until all is incorporated.
- divide into cupcake tins (lined or very well greased) or into a round cake pan.
- Bake on 350 for 15-20 minutes, a cake pan might need a bit longer.
- Recipe made 16 cupcakes
We topped ours with a lightly sweetened cream cheese frosting (I usually cut the sugar in half) but vanilla frosting would be delicious too!
You can find out more about our applesauce making experience in the post Apple Season.